Monday, March 28, 2011

Nursing... Part 4 ... Books

4th installment of my "Breast Feeding" Series

I'm a LOVER of books.  I love to own books, I love to read books, I love to look at books, I love to think about books.  That being said, I am trying to tone down my love of books, because I don't get time to read them now with kiddos!!  For Christmas I received a Kindle.  LOVE IT, however, I am still on the very first book.  So, before my first little guy I read a ton of books about babies and people having babies (when I should have been reading my Masters' courses books and doing those projects- still passed with A's).

Here are some of my favorites.

Pregnancy

Your Pregnancy Week By Week -I LOVE this book.  I read it each week with both my pregnancies and enjoyed the quick, but thorough  information.  It does not scare you with every scenario and situation (like another book everyone seems to think they need) and there is just enough information to give you updates.  A MUST have.  Yes, you can get this information on the internet, but it's nice to have that quick reference by your bed at night.  My hubby and I would read it at night- it was a great way to keep him in the pregnancy loop.

Belly Laughs-  This is a super cute book by Jenny McCarthy.  I liked her antidotes and humor.  Fun and quick read.  It helps you to know that you are not the only one going through all that crazy pregnancy stuff!

Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy -  Another fun book that just puts it all into perspective with stories and a little advice.

Breastfeeding

 The Nursing Mother's Companion - I liked this book for the technical help, it's a good reference.  I did not read it page for page, though.

Breast Feeding Sucks - I really liked this book because it gave a lot of good information about breastfeeding in an entertaining format.  Quick read, too... which you need when the baby arrives!

General Baby Books

Your Baby's First Year Week by Week  -  I really liked his as a reference for development and still use it with #2.  you forget what they should be doing and it gives activities to do to further development.  Another great thing to read with the hubby to keep him up-to-date on development.
Your Newborn: Head to Toe - This is a quick medical reference and explains common (and some not so common) aliments of newborns.  I liked it because I could quickly look something up while feeding or in the middle of the night.

Your Toddler:  Head to Toe - Just like Newborn, but for Toddlers.

The Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood - Funny book to read about all those great and wonderful flubs we make as first time Mommies!! :)
I know there are tons of other books out there, but these were the ones I found most useful  during the last 4 years.  There is also a ton of information out there on the internet, but I find it hard sometimes to determine good info and reliable sources, so I like a book to check with too!

**addition*** 7/22/11


Activities/Learning for Toddlers

I have also found some books that I like to pull out that have good educational learning ideas for little ones.  (with #2 here, this has definitely gone by the wayside, but I will get better- starting in August).  Websites are really GREAT for this though!  I'll share those another time.
 
The Preschooler's Busy Book- There are several different Busy Books, I have really enjoyed looking through them for seasonal activities.  These came in really handy this winter when we just needed to DO something but couldn't get out of the house because it was too cold.  There are learning games, activities, and movement ideas.  Great series.


Do you have any good books you read about pregnancy, newborns, or raising children?  Please share!

Last installment.... breastfeeding last thoughts...

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to think about this. I did read a lot of books but it was awhile ago. I really like the books that have activities for you to do with your child every week from birth to age 5.

    ReplyDelete