Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nursing... Part 2... pumping

As promised part 2 of my "Nursing" series... pumping...

Let me explain my situations first. 
#1 and I at about 1 week

First Child:  I had #1 in 2008.  He was a big boy 9lb 9oz.  In the hospital I had a lot of trouble nursing, because of all the medications I had to have with my c-section.  I didn't feel I could hold him for the first hour, because I was shaking so badly from the epidural and just being cold... of course I had been in labor for 20 hours, ending in a c-section and all that contributed to my coldness. I tried nurising exclusively with him for the first 2 weeks of his life.  It was the most stressful  time of my life.  He cried all the time, he lost weight, I was exhausted, and in pain.  I even went back to talk to the lactation nurse in the hospital.  All adding up to we went to his 2 week appointment and he was STILL loosing weight.  The doctor said, you have to supplement.  So, we started right away with giving him a 2 oz bottle right after we tried nursing.  He slugged down the bottles and was never interested in nursing after this.  I pumped exclusively until he was about 10 1/2 months old.

#2 about 2 months old

Second child:  #2 was born in November 2010, also a 9lb 9oz baby boy.  I had a c-section with him and was only in labor 6 hours.  However, I had much less of a reaction to the drugs and it was a little better after the birth.  I was not afraid at all to ask for help EVERY TIME I NURSED while in the hospital.  I only have 2 hands and sometimes I needed more!  With #1 I didn't ask for help enough.  #2 is 15 weeks and we have trouble getting him to take a bottle!  I do pump every morning to get a stash built up for him.  And I pump if we are going to be gone for very long from the baby.

Now that you know about me... Let's just get it out there Breast Feeding SUCKS!  It's painful, it's time consuming, and your body is not yours.  But the benefits of breastmilk are so awesome, it's worth it!

I decided to pump exclusively with #1 and not go to formula for several reasons:
1.  I bought that $350 pump, I was going to use it
2.  I know the benefits of breastmilk
3.  I'm not giving up!
4.  Hope of easy weight loss

With #1 I learned a lot about pumping...

First it's your attitude
  1. You have to go into it with a good attitude, if you don't  you won't have that great of results.
  2. Realize it might not work for you, I know lots of people who get NOTHING from pumping and it just doesn't feel worth it.
  3. Keep remembering that "breast is best" and breastmilk whether it's coming from your boob or the bottle, has the same nutrient
  4. You need time away from your baby and if you don't get BM for him, you can't leave or you have to supplement
Cost/Equipment:

  1. Some really lucky people have insurance that pays for breast pumps... yeah you!  I didn't and had to buy my non-returnable breast pump... so I USED it (still am for that matter). 
  2. Although my breast pump was expensive, it has saved us at least that much money in cost of formula. 
  3. When you pump, you have to store the milk... there are several ways to store milk.
    1. Ice Cube trays- these are about 1oz per cube and I know a lot of people who do this.
    2. Milk bags- I use milk bags.  They have worked for me and I like them. -- look for these on sale.  $8 for a box of 50 is pretty good.  Don't buy the Medela ones-- too expensive!! 
  4. Nursing bras (see my previous post)
Actual pumping:
  1. Number 1 KEY point is be relaxed.  If you aren't relaxed your milk won't let down and you really won't get much milk.  I use to read a book or watch TV while pumping to try to get relaxed. 
  2. When you are pumping I find I get the best results when I massage the breast and push the milk down.
  3. Pump as often as your baby eats (if you can).  if you don't your supply will go down and it will be stressful for all.
  4. Keep everything CLEAN.   See this post I did on Mastitis.  It's no fun. ;)
  5. Store your milk ... this is something that is kind of up in the air, but for the most part try to get it in the fridge ASAP and freeze soon after.
  6. Set a goal for yourself.  Mine was to "use up" all the milk bags that I had bought (I bought more as the time went on, but at first it was to fill 100 bags, then 50 more, etc.) Maybe your goal would  be a certain age.
Upping your supply:

Do you feel like you aren't getting enough milk?  Is your baby fussy after feeding?  It could be that your supply is low.  I had troubles with this with #1, so here are my tips.
  1. Pump OFTEN, as often as you can.  Especially pump when your baby eats.  Your body only produces milk when your nipples are stimulated... no stimulation, body thinks baby doesn't need it.
  2. If nursing, pump after each nursing.
  3. Use the let down feature on your electric pump to stimulate more production.  With #1 when I started to  get very little milk out during a pumping, I would hit this button and try to get more.
  4. Massage your breasts from the chest to the nipple, helping push the milk down to the nipple.
  5. Take a supplement.  I took Fenugreek, which is an herbal supplement and worked really well for me within 2 days my supply would be way up.  I took it almsot the whole time with #1.  You do start to smell like maple syrup when you sweat, but it's worth it.
  6. There is something called Mother's Milk Tea... I have never used it, but I know of people who say it works wonders.
Next installment.... specific pumping supplies...

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm going to try Fenugreek with Ellison. Not sure why I didn't with Whitney... I sure could have used it and I had heard about it!

    ReplyDelete