Friday, January 29, 2010

Breast Feeding

I read a book Breast Feeding Sucks.... it's so true! Especially the first 2 weeks of breastfeeding... I am not going to put on this post that everyone should breastfeed, because it's not for everyone. However, I was one of those people that had a lot of trouble breastfeeding, but persevered and got some sort of results. Here are some of my pointers.

1. Talk to the lactation consultants at the hospital and be SURE you understand what the heck they are talking about before you leave!
2. Don't be afraid to call the lactation consultants about breastfeeding... they are happy to help!
3. Go visit the lacation consultant! They can help!
4. Whether it comes from a bottle or a boob, your child will not be messed up!
5. If you have to pump... I did it for 10 1/2 months. It was the best decision for all of our sanity!
6. Pay for a good pump. I loved my Medela Pump In Style
7. Buy extra parts for your pump... especially if you will be pumping often... keeps them clean
8. Don't stop pumping if you get Mastitis (later post).
9. Mix breast milk and formula if you need to, it's still good!
10. Use Fenugreek if you have any trouble producing... I use to take 4X the recommended dose... I got a lot of milk!

Good luck. I solely pumped for 10 months of my son's life and it was a great descision for my family. I would be happy to offer any help I can!

3 comments:

  1. I have heard of Funugreek but never tried it, maybe i should yet with a few more months of breastfeeding left.... That's great you had the dedication to pump, I hate it and probably would have quit if that's the choice I had to face. Thankfully I have had no problems, except maybe low supply as she is getting bigger, but I'm sure you could get lots of stories and experiences from other other mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit that with my first, I gave up within the first few weeks of nursing, however, when I had my second, I stuck it out for a few months. I wish I had gone on longer than I did, but I did pump with the Medela (loved it!) even though it did make me feel like a cow! I wasn't shy about supplementing with formula either when I had too!

    ReplyDelete